Covey Resources, LLC, will be opening a new business in Milan soon, according to Milan Mayor Jimmy Kirkland. Covey Resources, LLC, will manufacture and market quality competitively priced cargo trailers that can be used for business or personal use.
County attorney John Harrington went before the Dodge County Board of Commissioner requesting approval of $100,000.00 for Covey Resources, LLC, from the Dodge County Revolving Loan Fund to help with the start up cost of beginning the company. According to Harrington, the revolving loan fund committee met and approved the request. Commissioner Jr. Howell made the motion, which was seconded by commissioner Terry Niblett, to loan Covey Resources, LLC, the $100,000.00 from the Dodge County Revolving Loan Fund.
Revolving loan fund committee members are Dodge County Board of Commissioners Chairman Dan McCranie, Jim Green, Reggie Sheffield from Citizens Bank and Trust, Jon Butler from Colony Bank and John Jessup from Bank of Eastman. Ex-officio member of the committee is Charles Williams, representing the Eastman-Dodge County Chamber of Commerce.
Harrington then told commissioners that Reggie Sheffield and John Jessup requested to be replaced. Sheffield recommended Butch Kirkley and Jessup recommend Alan Long. Commissioners approved the recommendations of Harrington.
Currently the balance in the revolving loan fund is $165,836.34.
Interim Dodge County Manager Bobby Peacock presented county commissioners with a proposal from the Dodge County Firefighters Association referencing their allocation of the Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) allocation.
According to the proposal, the firefighters association should receive $390,000.00 from SPLOST. The proposal stated that the county would fund projects for the rural fire departments up to 75% of the estimated amount and that this would insure that the county would receive the funds to cover the costs of the projects presented by the departments.
The proposal then stated that if the amount collected from SPLOST exceeded 75%, then the departments would receive the remaining 25% or 3% of the amount collected.
Commissioners approved the proposal.
Discussion was held on the Farm Service Agency (FSA) building located on Foster Street. Peacock told commissioners that the building was paid for but some cosmetic work needed to be done and the lawn care was an issue that needed to be discussed. Interim chamber president Charles Williams went before the commissioners recommending that the commissioners continue to let the Eastman-Dodge Development Authority handle the FSA building and any negotiations for rent or maintenance that needed to be done on the building. Commissioner Watkins made the motion, seconded by Niblett, to let the development authority take control of the FSA building. The motion passed.
[Full Story »]